Saturday, January 21, 2012

My Trip to Switzerland: Day 1

I arrived in Zurich at 9am on Sunday September 11, 2011. Mom met me at the airport and we took the train to Bern. Arriving at Grossmama and Grosspapa's apartment building was a neat experience, since I was only 12 years old the last time I was there. My childhood memories of the place actually turned out to be surprisingly accurate. It was great to see my Swiss grandparents in their country once again. We had lunch (the large meal of the day) with Grossmama and Grosspapa.

After lunch, Mom and I went walking around the old part of Bern, with her serving as the expert tour guide. We inspected the fountains, clock towers, and the Munster (large, old cathedral). When we got tired of walking, we caught the tram and rode it somewhat randomly around the city. Mom showed me the area where she grew up, including her apartment and grade school.

We returned to Grossmama and Grosspapa's apt. for dinner and spent the evening visiting with them. The sleeping arrangements had me up in the attic storage room, which was nice. I enjoyed looking out the window at night, listening to the city sounds and feeling the cool breeze.

Mom and I take turns posing in front of a popular fountain. The theme (see photo below for close-up) appears to be "I like to eat babies; head first tastes best."



This is one of the original city streets of Bern. 






Here is a fountain that finally made some sense to me. In the courtyard of the Munster, Moses shows off his bare leg and the 10 commandments.  



Perched high on a wall of the Munster, this gargoyle spends his days peering down at the baby-eating fountain man far below.


This is the city crest of Bern. 


More of the old part of Bern. It is typical in the old parts of the city for the streets to be curved with the rows of houses following the curvature.



Bern is the capital of Switzerland, and this is the capital government building.


1 comment:

Connie said...

Interesting statues!??! The old parts are amazing...can't wait to see the more colorful houses that I have visions of in Switzerland.