Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Consider the Lilies

A few days ago when I had the opportunity to sit quietly by myself, I randomly flipped to 3 Nephi 13:25-34 in the Book of Mormon.  In these verses it talks about Jesus coming to the America's and speaking to the people.  He speaks to the people regarding faith.  Starting in verse 28 He says  "Consider the lilies of the field how they grow; they toil not neither do they spin." Verse 30: Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which today is and tomorrow is cast into the oven even so will he clothe you, if ye are not of little faith. 33: But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you" 34: Take therefore no thought for the morrow, for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.  Sufficient is the day unto the evil thereof." (See Luke 12:22-24) It's not a coincidence for me that I happened to turn to these verses.  In fact the words have been floating through my mind from the song Consider the Lilies.  This song was sung a few weeks ago at my Grandpa Calvin Pehrson's funeral.  I know that it was one of his favorites.  One year for my birthday he gave me a cd with that song and told me that I had to listen to it because it was magnificent.  The pure meaning of the song and the scripture is that simply by faith we will have what we need.  If we seek His Kingdom, then our Heavenly Father will guide us, provide for us and strengthen us.  I have come to love this song, mostly because of my Grandpa.  His life was an example of this song.  Living by faith, being obedient to the commandments of God and living in a way where he was worthy of the those blessings promised.  I am so grateful for the knowledge that I can live with him again.  I am grateful for the relationship I was able to have with my Grandpa.  I am grateful that he was a part of my life and that I can strive to live a life like he did.  Thank you Grandpa for your love and example!  You are missed!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was beautiful, Jenny. I love and miss him, too. He has made a permanent impact on all of us.